Friday, April 11, 2008

Right Route Day and a Birthday!

April 11th is a special day in the CNMI - It's my wife's birthday.
Now I've just got to figure out how I can get into town to buy her a last minute gift while reducing my carbon foot print!

Today is also Take the Right Route Day! To help celebrate the International Year of the Reef (IYOR) the folks at CRM put together a campaign designed to raise awareness about our own individual contributions to global warming. In this case, by asking people to find alternate, more efficient ways to get around the island they hope to show that each of us can make decisions each and everyday that will help combat this issue.
Of course finding alternate means to get from Dandan to Garapan and other parts of the island for errands can be a bit difficult considering there is no public transportation on the island. Then there is the issue of knowing I will likely have to go to a number of different places scattered around the island to get what I need because there is really no "one stop" shopping area. Perhaps I could ride my bike but that only looks fun at the top of the hill by the college and not so fun from the bottom coming back up!
Perhaps I can ask these kids for a lift. Now If you think this photo of very young kids riding an ATV without helmets is just a gig for an ad, think again. This scenario is played out everyday up and down the street in front of my house. If I have one complaint about this campaign it is this ad. I'm waiting for the day when one of the kids in our neighbourhood is pronounced dead at CHC. You would never see this in Canada these days. Twenty years ago perhaps but not now. There has been too much education about head injuries so these days it's now basically considered neglect to let your child ride a bike without a helmet. Come to think about it there are no road side vendors selling fireworks to young kids either!

Anyway, I digress. For all of those who take an alternate way to work today you can receive your own pair of zories from CRM, call 664-8311 for more info.
Don't Drive it Walk it!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

don't forget the cake when you go out on your gift buying walk! :)

scubatripp said...

It's going to be a homemade (ok out of a box) cake! Decorated by the little m! Gotta buy frosting!

Bruce A. Bateman said...

8 from Porky's participated. 3 walked instead of us picking them up or taxi-ing in. Plus 3 in one carpool and two in the other.

Next year even bigger.

scubatripp said...

Well done Bruce! I can't say I did a very good job on Friday but CUC has sure helped my effort today!

CUC a truly green power company! We turn your power off every few hours all in the name of stopping global warming!