Tuesday, August 26, 2008

One More Sleep - Ok 1/2 of a Sleep

Well I had great plans to write a little summary of how we got to this point. Given my last long post you can imagine there is a lot more to tell. Today I was planning to sit back and write a "Coles Notes version" type of post where I could expand on things later when I have plenty of time trying to ignore the pain etc.
Unfortunately, we don't have any internet access at the hotel we're staying at tonight. In fact the internet is down over a 2 or 3 block radius so I'm now frantically trying to reply to emails and write this post on my wifi access at Starbucks. Unfortunately you only get one, two hour continuous free bee and time is running out.

So here's what you've got to look forward to if you continue to tune into this blog over the next few weeks.
First, it won't necessarily be real time updates but Denise will make a post tomorrow letting everyone know how the surgery goes. The word today is that I have to be at the hospital at 4:45 AM - what the hell is up with that, can't a guy get to sleep in a bit on a day like this! Oh well that means everything should be done by noon although I just spoke with the anesthesiologist who said I'll be fully out for about 12 hours so it might not be till late tomorrow before I see my lovely wife tell me all is good!

Next I'll finish putting together the story about how we got to this point including being told by Dr. Ada that I could not dive! Those who know me know that was not a pretty day!

Then on to sorting out insurance and plane tickets for the whole family to head out on an all day marathon trip to CA through Tokyo (and Nagoya). Remember we had a 2 &1/2 year old and a 7 month old - and a guy with a bad heart wondering if he was having angina pain!

Once in LA there was a series of tests with the cardiologist, lots of waiting in a small hotel in downtown LA.
A full house with Nana added to the mix. No complaints, I'm not sure what we would have done without her!
Living in downtown LA and using public transit while trying to keep a 2 & 1/2 year old occupied provides for it's own book of interesting stories and I have a few.
Finally, after getting a diagnosis and a plan it was time to send Denise and the kids up to Kelowna for a week or so while I tried to fight off the cold they all got. Have you ever seen a 2 & 1/2 year old sneeze a string of snot so long it almost hit the floor! This at the airport as I saw them off, only one bunched up Kleenex ready to go - it wasn't enough.

Kudos to Denise for being able to make the trip up north, sick as a dog with two little ones just as sick as her so daddy could have a week on his own to get his thoughts together and avoid getting sick himself.

So what does a guy facing open heart surgery do for a week in Southern California without the wife and kids? Road Trip to San Diego of course.
More to come on that but it was exactly what the Dr. ordered. Absence makes the heart grow fonder and it didn't take long to be missing everyone including that 2 1/2 year old mucus machine!
A 4 day trip up to Canada, a golf game with the closest of friends and a couple of days with my sister and her kids while being on hand to watch Morgan settle in nicely with grandma, grandpa and Auntie (and the kitties too). Then of course getting to watch the Olympics on Canadian TV was just a bonus!
With only 4 or 5 days left it was time for Denise and I to get some very much deserved alone time. It's been tough without the kids but I'm thankful for getting the time we've just had together. She's the best! It was the first time in 2 & 1/2 years that we didn't need to worry about anyone except ourselves! Throw in a nice room (complete with upgrade) overlooking the Pacific on Redondo beach and I'm almost ready to get this over with and start the process of recovery!
So here we go.... Wake up call at 4:15, probably not much point in having a shower since they apparently shave you from head to toe for this type of surgery. You're welcome, I hope you enjoyed the visual as much as I'm going to enjoy the itching and scratching for months afterwards!
Cheers for now! Lots to come and thanks for all the wishes, prayers and good vibes!


mark r said...

Good luck! I'm sure all will be OK, and am really looking forward to reading Denise's words in the next post! Seems like you are the talk of the island, with lots of prayers and a huge collective consiousness of health and healing vibes coming from this part of the Pacific!

Bruce A. Bateman said...

I, like Mark, will be waiting for positive news of your recovery.

You are going to be fine.

Think of it this way, with all that extra blood feeding into your lungs after the successful operation, you will be able to squeeze another 30% out of each tank of air. Not a bad result.

Best to You.

Mike said...

I'll second that. Everyone is wishing you well and praying for your complete and speedy recovery.

And hey, it could be worse, they could wax instead of shave.....

Get well soon!

Deece said...

God bless, Mike. You, Denise, and the kids are in my prayers. Looking forward to having you all back on island.