Thursday, February 7, 2008

Carnival of the Blue - Editors Choice

Sometimes a "pick me up" happens out of the blue and at the right time! Not long after posting my thoughts about the Napoleon wrasse I found out that I had recieved the editors choice award for this months Carnival of the Blue.
The carnival is being hosted by Kevin Z a marine biologist and graduate student researcher at Penn State University and host of The other 95%. If you are unfamiliar with the carnival see Angelo's excellent hosting effort here or visit the carnival blog. To have my effort recognized in this way felt pretty good as it took a while to write and I hope the discussion about this topic continues!
Here's what he had to say....

But thankfully for the Marianas, The Saipan SCUBA Diving Blog tells us that the humphead wrasse is one the few predators for the toxic Crown of Thorns. Unless, of course, its hunted away. An excellent lesson on the natural history of this fish, Saipain SCUBA brings it home with an intense discussion of the conservation of large reef fish, politics, spearfishing, tourism and the economy. This is the editor's choice for this month's Carnival of the Blue.

For good measure I'll also show you what Tamara had to say in the comment on lil hammer's blog.

scubatripp says it best in his blog post. When I saw the first article in the papers about the catch, I have to admit that while I was impressed at such a feat Mr. Sasamoto performed in holding his breathe long enough to catch that gigantic fish and bring it up, at the same time, I had this overwhelming feeling of sadness at seeing the Naploean Wrasse killed.. Like I said, scubatipp describes it best in his blog...

Thanks guys!

2 comments:

Neutral Dive Gear said...

Congrats on the award! Well-deserved!

_ndg

Neutral Dive Gear said...

p.s. I have to admit, I had not even heard of Saipan before coming across your blog. If our team of divers was to desire a trip out there, what's the best way to go about it? Wondering your recommendations for some divers from California!

=)

Thanks!

_mark (NDG)