Sunday, March 16, 2008

I'm not dead but my computer is!

So just before taking off for a month long trip back to Canada my computer crashed.  The good news is it's still under warranty and Apple will be replacing it.  Thank goodness for relatively frequent back ups too as once everything is replaced I'll be back up to where I was no worse for wear!  Fingers crossed!
Anyhow, this combined with the trans-Pacific jet lag has made for an exceptionally long absence form the blogosphere! Anyone who has made the long trek from Saipan to Vancouver (or anywhere in NA) knows that it's not an easy trip.  An early departure from Saipan, the stupid "get off and back on" at Nagoya before hitting a long layover in Tokyo followed by the 9 hours to Portland - and finally a ridiculously long walk to your next gate before hopping on the "puddle jumper" up and across the boarder can take its toll.
Now throw in a 2 year old and a 2 month old and its an experience that can take a few days to recover from!  I have to admit that traveling with kids actually is more fun than not.  They are fun to watch at this age and time seems to go by much faster than when you're watching bad movies and playing solitaire to kill the time.  But, when your daughter will only fall asleep sprawled out across your seat and you spend 3 plus hours walking around the plane because there is not a single extra seat it can take much of the fun out of the day!

All in all it was not that bad a trip.  Of course I can say that because I don't have boobs.  As bad as I felt not having a seat I'll take that over having a hungry little ball of heat in my lap for 20 plus hours.  She's certainly the better half!
With the traveling done it's now time to settle in for a week long reunion.  The family is not quite as large as the one pictured above but, it will still be a crazy week with everyone getting together for the first time since my Dad's funeral in 2005.  A few new additions and and nieces and nephews growing like weeds over the past few years makes for a full house and a whole lot of memories!

Now that the Jet lag is fading and all the additional hands are ready to help out with keeping the little ones happy I hope to keep up with the Saipan news and even make a few posts over the next month.   They just may not be all that SCUBA related!

What's that sweetie, oh yes the fasten seat belt light IS on, yes, ok, we need to fasten our seat belts!  They make it fun and keep you honest!


1 comment:

Bruce A. Bateman said...

Travel safely, Mike, and enjoy the time with your family and friends.