Monday, May 28, 2007

Creature ID WIn a Free DVD

Last year at about this time a section of Lau Lau Bay dive site was littered with small white cocoon looking structures. At a depth of about 45 feet and covering an area no more than 50 sq yards, hundreds of these tiny silk like sacs seemed to give birth to the creature seen here. Can you identify it? The first person to leave a comment correctly identifying this creature (common and scientific name) will win one FREE copy of The Underwater World of Saipan DVD

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Video is a bit short but I think it's Philinopsis gardineri which lays cocoon like eggs. Did it have long posterior pointed tails? If so then it maybe the similarly colored Chelidonura varians. I'll put my money on the former though. Hope this helps! JDM

Unknown said...

Sorry, Mike. I forgot that you asked for a common name: Headshield Sea Slug or Gardener's Philinopsis. JDM

scubatripp said...

Wow, that was fast! Thanks John, I'll post a longer clip shortly. If you send me your address I'll get you the DVD! Mike

Angelo Villagomez said...

Was it George W. Bush?

Bev said...

Mike, love your blog=) Lets go diving again.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Mike! I love your film and can you sign the DVD for me so I can show it off? I'll probably see you again at the next Turtle Conservation meeting. Nice to see Bev back too. I have high hopes that she'll be a nudi identification expert because of her love for those slugs! JDM

Deece said...

It was nice to meet you last night, Mike. Your blog is awesome! Want to exchange links?